Saturday, September 12, 2009

Two months and counting

The instantaneous autumn weather we've had this week has turned my thoughts to Halloween - specifically, my friend Emily's second annual party for which I plan to make decorations and weird foods. Last year my contributions included:
  • Blueberry-buttermilk-cardamom panna cotta in the shape of Frankenstein hands, which my friends promptly re-carved so that one of the hands was giving the finger. It was still pretty delicious though
  • Realistic jello shot eyeballs (the round ice cube trays I used are currently missing, and I am freaking out - they were extremely well received and fun to make. I painted the iris, pupil, and bloodshot veins on with food coloring)
  • Two bats made out of wire hangers and duct tape
  • An entirely black flower arrangement
  • Purchased light strings (orange, purple and eyeball shaped)
  • Enough grey, loose-weave "creepy cloth" from Oriental Trading's online store to cover Emily's entire futon couch
  • A big cheap plastic skull wall hanging from the Five Below
  • A sheet cake dribbled with jello eyeballs, plastic flies and maraschino cherry liquid which no one touched
Here's my brainstorming for this year's additions:
  • Thai/Vietnamese basil seed drink; the floating basil seeds look like tiny eggs or something equally gross, but they taste like watermelon (not that I expect anyone but me to drink it)
  • "Thousand-year-old eggs" (for looks - see above; I think they're interesting, flavor-wise, but the whites are purplish black and the yolk is green)
  • Bone-shaped meringue cookies
  • 44 assorted vital organ gummies, already purchased
  • If I can find or make one, a tacky life-size jointed cardboard witch, preferably 1950s style
  • We didn't have enough ghost imagery last year; either cutouts or fabric sculpture
  • My ribcage chandelier design from art class in 2005 needs some more play; maybe in 3-D?? (Wire wrapped with something and spray-painted glow-in-the-dark?)
  • BLACK LIGHT
  • A recipe I found online for "alien autopsy shots" (bloody grenadine on the bottom, with bailey's half-suspended in mountain dew above to look just basically gross)
  • I have this book of vintage monster images I have to remember to blow up at Kinko's; maybe I can make a banner or garland
OMG, right?

1 comment: