Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ho hum

I'm officially kind of bored with embroidery, which is a shame, since I decided to undertake a larger project this week - a set of decorated cocktail napkins for an old friend who's getting married in October. So I find myself duty-bound to finish the little mushrooms and deers and molecule diagrams and cartoon characters I've already traced onto the linen. At least my supply of Star Trek: The Next Generation has been refreshed a la an Amazon shipment yesterday; that should smooth things over a bit. (I'm on season five, but I skipped season two.)

In personal news, my friends Tom and Alyse from Oberlin College have more or less relocated to New York, which is a bummer because they're kind of my go-to people; they're the only friends besides my sister who were living less than ten minutes from me. Alyse has been in NY for the past month, stage-managing a play about Emily Dickinson, but until yesterday she returned every weekend to visit Tom, who was doing some kind of unpaid Philadelphia internship with a nonprofit that had to do with the train system. Now Tom has finagled an unpaid lighting tech gig on the aforementioned play, so I probably won't see them for at least a month unless I drag my butt, crutch and all, up to NYC for opening night. That may or may not happen, so it looks like I have to commute to other apartments if I don't want to be a total embroidery/Star Trek loner for the rest of September. Undecided.

Otherwise, my sister's new job seems to be going tolerably well, although she is planning to vamoose out of there as soon as she finds another one. She's doing what I was doing a year ago - assistant preschool teaching - but it turns out she went to high school with two of her co-workers, one of which was also a complete horror show mean girl to her in middle school. So, not the greatest situation. I have to find a job too. I'm burning through my savings with Star Trek and restaurants (not to mention cigarettes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment